Thursday, May 12, 2011

Stacybeads style

Sometimes when I'm submitting work to a show or a new boutique, I'm asked to describe the style of my jewelry. It's not always easy to do (sometimes they literally want me to describe it with one word!) because my work isn't really homogeneous. But I think it breaks down into three main categories, which I try to represent in my banner here on the blog and in the Etsy shop.
  • Bright and sassy: The gleaming white Chicklette necklace on the right end of my banner is an example of this. Most of the pieces in this category are made from one of my favorite bead materials, Czech glass. The beads are opaque, glossy and available in a mind-boggling array of shapes and colors. Very fun to play with!
  • Sparkly and shiny: The Romance earrings in the middle of the banner demonstrate the more glamorous, dressy side of Stacybeads. For these designs, I use Swarovski crystals and pearls, gemstones, and Czech fire-polished glass. There's more emphasis on faceted beads here, to give these pieces plenty of sparkle. My inner magpie loves that!
  • Random and fun: At the left end of the banner is the Cherries bracelet, which I made out of beads I salvaged from a necklace I found at a second-hand store. Like most designs in this category, this bracelet is a very limited edition because I can't get the beads again. It's a fun challenge to use whatever random beads grab my attention, giving them a second life as something new.
What's your Stacybeads style?

No comments:

Post a Comment